So you want to get married at St. Mary’s or All Saints? Here’s what to do!
Contact the Parish Office
Our Parish Administrator, Dorothy, will take your details and answer your questions.
t: 01494 729380
Q. Am I allowed to get married at St. Mary's?
A. Yes, as long as one of you has a connection with the parish. A ‘connection’ means:
- One of you lives within the Parish
- One of you worships regularly at St. Mary’s
- One of you was baptised in a Church of England service in the Parish
- One of you was prepared for confirmation in a Church of England service within the Parish
- One of you has at any time regularly (i.e. at least once a month) attended a normal church service at St. Mary’s for a period of at least 6 months
- One of your parents, at any time after you were born, has lived inthe Parish for period of at least 6 months, or has regularly gone to normal church services at St. Mary’s for a period of at least 6 months.
- One of your parents or grandparents was married at St. Mary’s
Q. Do I have to be a Christian?
A. No. However, the service is a Christian service, and there will be prayers and frequent mention of God within it.
Q. Do I have to have been Christened?
Q. Can I choose who takes my wedding?
A. There is some flexibility with this, and you can request a particular member of the clergy team. Do mention it early on to Dorothy if this is something you feel strongly about. Please be aware that it will depend on availability! If you’d like to bring another minister in specially to take the service, this may be possible in discussion with the Rector. Again, mention this early.
Q. Does it matter if I've been married before?
A. We do conduct marriages at St. Mary’s where one or both of the couple are divorcees. However, this is something we can only decide on a case by case basis. Dorothy will point you to one of the clergy team to discuss this further.
Q. Can you take a same sex wedding?
A. No, not at the present time.
For more information about Church of England weddings, your options, hymn choices, readings and more, do visit the official site: www.yourchurchwedding.org.