PARISH OF AMERSHAM WITH COLESHILL
3rd March 2024
The Third Sunday of Lent
A Prayer for Israel and Palestine
God of peace and compassion,
We pray for all impacted by the escalation in conflict in Israel-Palestine
For all who are mourning
For all who are fearful, today, and for what may lie ahead
For all traumatised and re-traumatised by what they have experienced.
Enable us to stand in solidarity with people of peace
May your Spirit bring peace and healing to your troubled world
A Prayer for Ukraine
God of peace and justice, we pray for the people of Ukraine today. We pray for peace and the laying down of weapons. We pray for all those who fear for tomorrow, that your Spirit of comfort will draw them near to them. We pray for those with power over war or peace, for wisdom, discernment and compassion to guide their decisions. Above all, we pray for all your precious children, at risk and in fear, that you would hold and protect them. We pray in the name of Jesus, the prince of Peace. Amen.
Verse for the week: John 2:25
- “Jesus did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person”.
- What had and has become of God’s dwelling place and how do we prepare our hearts, minds and bodies to draw closer to God?
HC: Exodus 20.1-17: 1 Corinthians 1.18-25: John 2.13-22
MP: Psalm 18.1-25: Jeremiah 38.14-end: Philippians 1.1-26
EP: Exodus 5.1-6.1: Philippians 3.4b-14
Collect for Third Sunday of Lent
- Almighty God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified: mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through our Lord Jesus Christ, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. AMEN
Collect for Third Sunday of Lent (BCP):
- We beseech thee, Almighty God, look upon the hearty desires of thy humble servants, and stretch forth the right hand of thy Majesty, to be our defence against all our enemies; through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN
Sunday 3rd March 2024 the third Sunday of Lent
8am BCP Holy Communion St Mary’s Amersham
9am Matins on Zoom
9am CW Holy Communion All Saints’ Coleshill
10:30am CW Holy Communion with Holy Baptism St Mary’s Amersham (Streamed from church)
6pm BCP Choral Evensong All Saints’ Coleshill
For all access details see below.
In addition, the clergy team will livestream a short time of evening prayer on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 6pm
A warm welcome to the family and friends of James Easter for the exciting occasion of his baptism on Sunday.
ANTHEM AND VOLUNTARY at St Mary’s Church:
O Lord Increase Our Faith (Loosemore) & TBC
- Link for this Sunday: 10.30am this Sunday:https://www.youtube.com/live/F-5lga4oXvY?si=DjJxazV0c2ix2vRw
ALL SAINTS’ PRAYER MEETING:
- The monthly All Saints’ prayer meeting will be on Saturday 2nd March at 10am. All are welcome to this informal prayer meeting!
CHORAL EVENSONG ALL SAINTS’ COLESHILL:
- On Sunday 3rd March there will be a service of Choral Evensong from the Book of Common Prayer at All Saints’ at 6pm.
MOTHERING SUNDAY ALL AGE SERVICE:
- Mothering Sunday is on 10th March and we will be having an All Age service at both churches to mark this. If your child/children would like to be involved in the service, please do speak to Jonny at email@example.com.
A SERVICE OF PRAYER AND REFLECTION:
- On Tuesday 19th March we will be holding an informal service of prayer and reflection at St Mary’s at 7:30pm. The service will involve sung worship with hymns/worship songs on acoustic guitar along with a short talk followed by time for quiet reflection and prayer. We hope this service will be an opportunity to prepare for Holy Week through time to be still in God’s presence. If you have any queries about this service, please speak to Jonny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE RIGHT REVD BISHOP ALAN WILSON:
- It is with great sadness that we have to announce the sudden death of Bishop Alan Wilson, the Bishop of Buckingham. Please do be praying for Bishop Alan’s family at this incredibly difficult time.
- will be holding a session in the Church Rooms on Monday 25thMarch 8am – 3.30pm. This usually takes place in Coleshill Village Hall. If this is something you are interested in, give Rosie a ring on 07557 647231 or see poster in church.
CHURCHWARDEN FOR ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH, COLESHILL:
- Petrina is stepping down as All Saints Church Warden at the APCM in April. A huge thank you to Petrina for serving the church so diligently and faithfully over the years. Petrina has worked incredibly hard to look after All Saints in a number of ways – too many to list in one notice! This does mean that All Saints’ will need a new church warden in April – so please do think and pray on whether this might be right for you. It is important that both churches have two church wardens, and this won’t be possible if someone doesn’t step toward. So please do think carefully about whether this would be right for you. If you have any questions about this, please speak to Jonny or Jane.
- Rev’d Michelle will be running a 5 week Lent course from 22nd February 10.30am – 12 noon in the Church Rooms. More information next week or speak with Rev’d Michelle on 07973 921714.
Amersham Almshouses Vacancy:
- Accommodation: Two mid terrace, two-storey, self-contained Victorian cottages with communal garden. Comprises one bedroom, shower room with wc plus downstairs wc, lounge and kitchen. No appliances are provided. Located on a site with six other cottages in the heart of Old Amersham. Tesco and bus services are a five-minute walk away. Criteria: To be considered applicants must Be a person in need; Live in, near or have an association with Amersham or the ancient Parish of the Lee; Be capable of independent living; Not have any pets nor smoke or vape. Residents are appointed by the Trustees as beneficiaries and pay a maintenance charge not a rent. For an application form and to find out more about the charity & accommodation use this link https://www.amershamalmshouses.org.uk/apply-for-a-place Email email@example.com or call 07885 587 989. Closing date 22nd March 2024.
LILY NOTICE FOR EASTER FLOWERS:
- In the past, many of the congregation have donated money for the Easter lilies in memory of a loved one. The price of a lily is £5.00 for each person named on the Memorial List. Donations for all the other flowers used at Easter will also be very welcome. To save disappointment, please could we have all donations in by Sunday 24 March as the list has to be finished by the next day and then mounted. Please make donations to Jan Galloway 07711416589 or Jane Partidge for St Mary’s (all St Mary’s cheques made payable to St Mary’s Flower Group (please note new account), or for Bank Transfers email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring Jan Galloway please) and Judi Herbert 433534 for Coleshill (please make Coleshill cheques payable to All Saints Church Flower Fund)
PARENTS: Can you help us enhance the growth and sustainability of the choral tradition at St. Mary’s Church by encouraging your child to become a Chorister at St. Mary’s Amersham? We are recruiting children aged 7-14 for our choir. If you are interested, please speak with our Director of Music, Edward Mc Call or pick up a leaflet with details and application form or contact the Parish Office.
A PASTORAL CHAT
- Do contact any of the clergy for a chat by phone, facetime or Zoom about anything that is concerning you. Time we have!
DONATIONS TO ST MARY’S AND ALL SAINTS’
- If you would like to make a donation or catch up with planned giving and have online banking the easiest way is to make a BACS payment – please contact the Parish Office to get the details.
HOW TO ACCESS CHURCH SERVICES
SUNDAYS 9am Morning Prayer (BCP) Zoom: Please apply to Rev Tim Barnard for meeting joining details, see the contact list below.
10.30am Holy Communion and Evening Prayers log in via the codes listed
- is to take part in streamed services from the Diocese of Oxford. Going to https://www.oxford.anglican.org/livestream/ will give you both the link to the streamed service and the download of the service order. The Eucharist can also be watched on demand.
PLEASE REMEMBER IN YOUR PRAYERS:
For those who are sick: Roy Evans, Andrew James.
For your ongoing prayers at home: Pam Atkinson
For those that have died: Thomas Masters, Melanie Skjott, Frank Venables.
NAMES AND ADDRESSES: Rev’d Jonny Rapson Rector 01494 724426 email@example.com
Jonny’s day off is Friday – please only contact him then in an emergency.
Rev’d Tim Barnard Hon Associate Rector 01494 728478 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tim’s days off are Tuesday and Thursday – please only contact him then in an emergency
Rev’d Sue Gill Hon Assoc Rector 01494 451485 email@example.com Rev’d Michelle Fotherby Assistant Curate 07973 921714 Michelle’s day off is Friday Michelle.firstname.lastname@example.org Sheila Shield Reader 01494 571766 email@example.com David Skinner Churchwarden 01494 431652 firstname.lastname@example.org Valerie Simmonds: Churchwarden 01494 724693 email@example.com Petrina Clackett Churchwarden 01494 433044 firstname.lastname@example.org Jane McNeilly: Churchwarden 01494 726736 email@example.com Graeme Coles Treasurer 07703 963990 Treasurerfirstname.lastname@example.org Clare Atkinson Planned Giving – both churches: email@example.com Simon Hollett Children’s Worker – firstname.lastname@example.org 07926 575851 Steve Poulson Mission Partner 07783 506692 email@example.com Parish Office Dorothy Potter. Church St, Amersham. Bucks. HP7 0DB
01494 729380 firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding officers for the Parish
Clare Samuels: 07966 425206 email@example.com.
St Mary’s website: www.stmaryschurchamersham.com Coleshill website: www.coleshill.org/village-life/all-saintschurch.html